Tuesday, August 28, 2012

This weeks projects!

At bountiful baskets this week we got something new, in fact I didn't even know these existed. Champagne grapes.
 
 
 They look so cute and tiny but they were kinda a pain in the rear. Jackson was the only kid who would eat them. Anna proceeded to squish every single one I gave her and Waylon wouldn't even touch them. Apparently he likes his grapes to be normal. So it was a rather large container and I knew Jackson wouldn't be eating them all by his lonesome. So I decided to try some fruit leather. I also had a mix of mango and oranges frozen in the freezer so we got some variety!

Plucked!

Cooked and strained!
 
 Grape puree
 
 Mango - orange puree!
 
The yield, a bit of grape juice and fruit leather!
 
The boys won't try them...but Anna likes them!!
 
 
My other project this week is a face lift to the laundry room. My super wonderful Aunt Debbie hand-me-downed us a new back door for our home. You never realize how crappy something is until you get a new one! It's a major improvement at the least! Anyways, this new door sparked the realization that yikes, this mud/laundry room could really use some improving. Mark said to me one day, "We should paint in here and put in a new floor."...JUMP...I love it when he is on board with projects...on board as in he doesn't mind if I change stuff! So the kids and I ran to Home Depot on a mission to add some life to the room. The boys helped me pick the paint color by saying yes or no to the options I gave them! (; We ended up with a Martha Stewart color...can't go wrong with Martha right? So here is my progress thus far.
 
Before shots...I did a bit of scraping on the loose paint.
 
 The new door
 
 It's important that I work on projects by myself because it would irritate anyone else...I don't clean before....I just continually move messes around until I am all done then I put things away. The fly strip, so gross.
 
 
Finally decided I needed to take the door down and strip it. Another project entirely. But, it's coming along! There are so many layers of paint on it I don't think I will make it to bare wood but maybe a happy compromise. Today's goal is to figure out what color I want to paint the trim. I have a few options of left overs in my basement, surely one of them will work! Once all the painting is done we are going to put in a real floor too, no more concrete! More pictures to follow!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment